Interactive Calendar for your events
Sheffield Chat Forum
Sheffield Weather
A to B Local Transport
Play Radio Hallam
The Star- Sheffield news and viewsBBC website and radio


General Links
Waste & Recycling
Talk to Frank
Blood Donor Sessions
Financial Help

History of Tinsley

Tinsley derives from the Old English Tingas-Leah, which means 'Field of Council'. It is mentioned as 'Tirneslawe' or 'Tineslawe' in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was in the possession of Roger de Busli. The chapel of St Laurence, Tinsley was built in 1877 on the site of an ancient (possibly of Anglo-Saxon origin) chapel.

An annual royal payment was received until 1847 in order that a service for the dead could be held.

Tinsley Wood lay to the south of the settlement, on land now partly occupied by Sheffield City Airport and High Hazels Park. It may have been the site of the Battle of Brunanburh in 934, where Athelstan of England gained the submission of the Celtic monarchs of Britain.

To read more about Tinsley Woods go to www.heritagewoodsonline.co.uk

Through the 18th and 19th centuries this area changed from a rural area to a major industrial centre known for its collieries, iron, steel, and wire works

St. Lawrence Church TinsleyTinsley Cooling Towers Postcards

Tinsley Forum have recently distributed a splendid selection of large sized postcards that represent the Tinsley Cooling Towers as viewed and experienced from within the community of Tinsley. Ali White has co-ordinated this wonderful view of the town.

Tinsley Cooling Towers

 

Railways in Tinsley

 

Early Railways